IFGH INMED Symposium on Medical Electives
‘A Symposium on Medical Electives’
The Irish Network of Medical Educators (INMED) in partnership with the Irish Forum for Global Health (IFGH) is delighted to announce: ‘A Symposium on Medical Electives’.
The aim of the symposium is to develop an all-Ireland collegial approach to medical electives in developed and resource-poor countries. The symposium will be held on Friday 20 September, 2013, 10am-4pm at the Royal College of Surgeons (RCSI), St Stephen’s Green, Dublin.
Book your place now on our events page.
Issues to be examined will include the production of good practice guidelines on principles and processes, and a framework for partnerships with institutions in low resource settings. The specific aims of the symposium are to:
- Learn from each other about current elective processes in medical schools on the island of Ireland. This includes electives in Ireland, in developed and in resource-poor countries.
- Learn from students about their views of current medical elective processes.
- Identify areas for collaboration on electives across medical schools. Areas of work could include insurance, pre-departure preparation, database of sites, funding, etc.
- Begin the development of national good practice guidelines on a common set of principles and approaches in relation to medical electives, as well as a framework for partnerships with institutions in low-resource settings.
Guest speakers include:
Dr Jon Dowell, School of Medicine, Dundee
Dr Dowell is Convenor of Electives at Dundee, Chair of UK Medical Schools Council Electives Group, Founder of Responsible Electives (www.reponsibleelectives.org)
Dr Victor Mukonka, Copperbelt University Medical School, Zambia
Dr Mukonka has hosted medical students form Ireland at different institutions in Zambia.
Dr Patrick O’Donnell, MSc Global Health Candidate, Trinity College Dublin
Dr O’Donnell is a GP who has studied Irish student experiences of international health electives taking up a post as research fellow in Primary Care & Social Inclusion at UL.
Cost of registration: €50. Students (limited number with ID): free.
Places are limited, Book your place NOW!
Download information here.
The time-table for the event can be found here.
- Student Outreach Team
- Get Global Young Professionals Talk Global Health
- Global Health Matters – Live Event Series
- An initiative of Irish Global Health Network
- ESTHER Ireland and ESTHER Alliance for Global Health Partnerships
- IGHN Conferences
- Global Health Conference 2020
- ESTHER Partnerships
- Weekly Webinar Series
- 4th Global Forum on HRH
- Access to Medicines
- Archive Page Weekly COVID Webinars
- Clean Cooking 2019
- Climate Change and Health Conference 2017
- Conference Abstracts
- Conference Materials
- Covid FAQ
- COVID Funding Opportunities
- COVID-19: Gender Resources
- Dashboard and online resources
- ESTHER Alliance
- Events & News
- Funding covid
- Global Health Exchange 2018
- Global Health Exchange 2019
- Global Health symposium 2019
- Health Workforce/HRH
- Homepage Featured
- Homepage recent posts
- IFGH 2011-2012 Conference and Events
- IFGH 2014 Conference
- IFGH Multimedia
- Irish AIDS Day 2017
- Irish News and Feeds
- Key Correspondent Articles
- Key Correspondent News
- Maternal Health
- News & Events
- Our LMIC's Resources for COVID19
- Partner Country News and Feeds
- Past Events
- Recurring events
- Reports & Publications
- Student Outreach Group
- Students Corner
- TRAINING COURSES FOR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS
- Upcoming Events