Health & Gender Equity in a Period of Global Crisis
DSAI (Development Studies Association Ireland), IFGH (Irish Forum for Global Health) and Gender ARC are delighted to partner on ‘Health and Gender Equity in a Period of Global Crisis’; a conference reflecting two prominent research themes which have emerged over the past two-three years.
This conference will hear from speakers from around the globe, who will look at some of the biggest challenges and critical issues facing development researchers, policy-makers and practitioners working in the area of international development. Some of the key issues this conference will be addressing are:
- How the development agenda is being transformed by the unprecedented economic turmoil since the banking crisis of 2008/9 and its subsequent effects north and south.
- Does the end of the MDGs signify new thinking on development paradigms?
- How is the end of neoliberal globalisation and the rise of the BRICs posing a serious challenge to accepted development nostrums in the North?
- What ramifications has the ‘triple crisis’ had for gender equality in southern economies?
- What effect has it had on reinforcing pre-existing disadvantage in deepening poverty and accelerating other crises, such as the HIV epidemic?
- Is the care economy emerging as an alternative informal economy in the context of high unemployment?
- How have women’s land rights, sustainable livelihoods and climate justice been affected?
- What evidence is emerging that health inequalities between and within countries are widening?
- What effect is worsening poverty and declining services having on health outcomes for those caught within the poverty trap?
- How is the global crisis increasing vulnerability and depleting the coping capabilities of individuals and communities?
- How can those working in the area of international development protect equitable initiatives, address the differential impacts on the most vulnerable and develop policy responses that mitigate risks and promote resilience?
Call for papers and registration for this conference will open in the autumn and we would urge you to put the following dates in your diary:
Thursday/Friday 28 & 29 November 2013
Venue: Galway Bay Hotel, Galway City
For further information or to register your interest in this conference, please contact Dawn Quinn, DSAI Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 01-896 3668
- ESTHER Partnerships
- Weekly Webinar Series
- 4th Global Forum on HRH
- Access to Medicines
- Archive Page Weekly COVID Webinars
- Clean Cooking 2019
- Climate Change and Health Conference 2017
- Conference Abstracts
- Conference Materials
- Covid FAQ
- COVID Funding Opportunities
- COVID-19: Gender Resources
- Dashboard and online resources
- ESTHER Alliance
- Events & News
- Funding covid
- Global Health Exchange 2018
- Global Health Exchange 2019
- Global Health symposium 2019
- Health Workforce/HRH
- Homepage Featured
- Homepage recent posts
- IFGH 2011-2012 Conference and Events
- IFGH 2014 Conference
- IFGH Multimedia
- Irish AIDS Day 2017
- Irish News and Feeds
- Key Correspondent Articles
- Key Correspondent News
- Maternal Health
- News & Events
- Our LMIC's Resources for COVID19
- Partner Country News and Feeds
- Past Events
- Recurring events
- Reports & Publications
- Student Outreach Group
- Students Corner
- TRAINING COURSES FOR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS
- Upcoming Events