World Hepatitis Day 2011 - Get Involved!
World Hepatitis Day 2011
This 28 July will mark the first ever WHO sponsored World Hepatitis Day. Previ- ously, the Day was marked by civil society groups. Last year, concerned by the growing importance of hepatitis, the World Health Assembly adopted a resolution on viral hepatitis. This resolution recognizes World Hepatitis Day which will aim to draw worldwide attention to the need to be aware of hepatitis, and to confront it by engaging governments, international organizations, businesses, civil society and individuals in a shared advocacy effort. Our goal is to provide an opportunity for education and greater understanding of viral hepatitis as a global public health problem, and to stimulate and strengthen effective preventive and control measures.
• To save lives and protect health by raising awareness and understanding among the general public about hepatitis.
• To stimulate more cooperation in communities, across governments and across nations for sustained action against hepatitis.
• To generate a sense of urgency among all stakeholders to prioritize action.
• Increased understanding of what drives hepatitis and what can be done to prevent it.
• Governments take the lead in developing and implementing policies to prevent the spread of hepatitis.
• Other stakeholders engaged to take action and confront hepatitis.
• Commitment built for effective policies and practices and their implementation to confront hepatitis.
• Government leaders, policy makers and international partners.
• Civil society groups, individuals, patients and their families.
• Health and medical professionals.
• General public.
WHO Director-General's video message
Streaming wmv 00:04:47
World Hepatitis Day video
Streaming wmv 00:02:51